superhero - slogan porcelain mug
What is it:
- Porcelain mug
- Four colour, screen printed 'superhero' slogan on one side
- Made in the UK
- Capacity 350ml
- Height 900mm
- Diameter 800mm
What is it for:
- Telling someone you think they are going to make their dreams come true.
- Great for tea or coffee, it's clean design means it fits in nicely with other mugs. Even though it's far superior.
- A way of telling someone you think they are a hero without being cheesy.
- A special way to say thank you when someone has helped you out.
Why we love it:
- It's made in Stoke on Trent, in the heart of the traditional potteries.
- It is high quality porcelain and you can feel it when you hold it.
- We paid for screen printed letters instead of a simple transfer, the letters will never come off no matter how many times the mug goes in the dishwasher.
- It has enough capacity that you could empty a standard sized can of coke into it yet it still doesn't feel bulky.
- It's elegant but incredibly well made and practical.
I knew I wanted to make something to drink tea or coffee from featuring the 'I'm going to...' range of designs. I thought a mug would be the best idea because I've always hated cups that were too small for a goodly amount of coffee.
I've got a cupboard full of bone china cups and mugs that have been given to either me, my husband or one of the children over the years, all featuring various chips here and there as they've come out of the dishwasher over the years.
I was told years ago that porcelain was more durable than bone china so I knew it would have to be a porcelain mug that was big enough to hold at least the entire contents of a can of coke.
The other issue I've had with cups and mugs over the years is invariably the funny words or pretty pictures, the thing that made the person gift it to me in the first place, vanishes little by little each time it gets washed up or goes in the dishwasher. The way to prevent this is to use screen printing instead of a transfer.
By now I knew I wasn't creating a cheap slogan mug.
I could have made it from ceramic, used a transfer to get the design on to it, had in made as cheaply as possible somewhere and generally cut every corner possible but that just isn't what Two Little Boys is all about. I wanted to be able to bump in to someone at a Christmas Fair in ten years who tells me they are still using the mug their daughter bought them and they still love it.
At least this way I know that could well happen.
I hope you love it as much as I do.